Bowing to pressure from the WBC, Zanfer Promotions on Monday announced that former bantamweight world titleholder Luis Nery’s fight scheduled for June 9 has been canceled.
Zanfer Promotions announced last week that Nery (26-0, 20 KOs), 23, would face fellow southpaw Jetro Pabustan (29-5-6, 9 KOs), 28, of the Philippines, in a 10-round bout at the Municipal Auditorium in Nery’s hometown of Tijuana, Mexico.
The fight was supposed to be Nery’s first since he was stripped of his 118-pound world title belt by the WBC for failing to make weight before a second-round knockout win in a rematch against former titlist Shinsuke Yamanaka on March 1 in Tokyo.
When Nery missed weight — he was 121 pounds, 3 over the limit — the WBC suspended him indefinitely. Nery could have fought anyway, just not in a bout sanctioned by the WBC. But Nery is Mexican, and the Mexico-based WBC holds tremendous sway with Mexican fighters, managers and promoters, and the organization went public with its dismay regarding Nery’s scheduled fight.
“Along with his representatives, Luis Nery attended an audience on March 9 [with WBC representatives],” the organization said in a statement on Monday. “During this hearing, the position of the WBC was to reach a settlement after considering the best way to help the boxer return to the ring and also to eventually contest the world championship of the World Boxing Council. WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman put forward two clear options to Luis Nery. The first was for him to accept the conditions of the WBC in order to correct the problems which led him to lose the world title. The second option was for Nery to ignore the body and pursue his career on a different path. Nery clarified that he would follow any regulation imposed by the WBC. We deeply regret the decision of Nery to fight while being suspended by the WBC. Due to this action, it is clear that his decision has changed.”
After the WBC’s statement, Zanfer announced later on Monday that it had canceled Nery’s fight and said he will not fight again until the WBC lifts his suspension.
“Zanfer Promotions informs that former WBC bantamweight world champion Luis ‘Pantera’ Nery will not fight June 9 as announced,” the company said in a statement. “Nery will wait for the resolution of the World Boxing Council. [Nery] will fully comply with the guidelines to which he committed himself to.”